Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Gear Review: Arcteryx's Rho AR Zip & Smartwool's NTS Mid 250 Zip Tee

      Whether you are a wool man or a synthetic guy, a good baselayer is crucial to any layering system.  They also make good stand alone pieces if you head inside to warm up or need something to wear around the house for a little while.  In this post I will go over two of my Zip tops that I feel are some of the best out there.
Arc'teryx Rho Zip Top
      I always hold Arc'teryx to a very high standard due to the fact that their products have always exceeded my expectations and generally go above and beyond.  The Rho series top seems to be a clear winner in my opinion for a baselayer with a quarter zip.  The quarter zip has always been a favorite of mine.  While it does add a possible fail point on the top, it also improves the potential as a stand alone piece, and increases quick variable breathability.  I mostly use it for winter running and other cold weather activities like backcounty skiing and snowshoeing, where you often can be overwhelmed with heat and need a quick ventilation system, like unzipping provides.  The Rho top comes in two different weights.  Light weight or all around, LT or AR. Both weights are advertised for stop and go "scramble" style cold weather activities.  This top when compared to other synthetic baselayers just seems to have a edge over any other I've have had in the past.  The Torrent fabric that they use in many of their jackets and baselayers just seems to perform better than other synthetics, as its super breathable, drastically more than a comparable weight of capiline.  Antimicrobial? Yes it is!  I have gone on multi-day snowshoe backpacking trips using it as a baselayer and no funk!
Smartwool Mid NTS 250 Zip Tee
      The merino piece I like to use as a baselayer is Smartwools NTS Mid 250 Zip Tee.  Equal weight to the Arc'teryx top above, the benefits of 100% merino wool come out.  Merino wool is naturally antimicrobial and prevents the funk of a 6 day trip all by itself without chemical treatment.  The breathability is better than any synthetic that I have heard of.  The top lays super flat against the skin and the Smartwool athletic cut seems to be one of the better cuts I've seen.  And if your out on a sunny winter day your protected, the 250 weight is 50+ UPF.  This one although new to my collection has blown me away, I highly suggest that you start considering Smartwool as a good outdoor company again.  Its products like this that are going to help them make a comeback.  On the flip side, I am personally not quite 100% there yet.  Icebreaker is a New Zealand company that specializes in merino wool clothing.  There tops are very comparable to Smartwool, and personally I feel like they are slightly better quality, and are a good option if you are one of the anti-Smartwool people out there.
      These are just two options out there, in the world today new items are popping up every day.  I encourage everyone to research before you buy, and spend the money to get the higher quality material.  I'm not saying to go out and buy the most expensive Arc'teryx piece you can find, but Don't go to your local Walmart and buy the 15 wool top either, unless you want to itch like you have the chickenpox, and smell like a septic tank... Okay maybe not that harsh.

      Check them all out here:
      Smartwool- smartwool.com
      Icebreaker- icebreaker.com
      Arc'teryx- arcteryx.com

-Tattooed Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment