Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Isle Royale National Park


Tobin Harbor, Isle Royale
Rock Harbor, Isle Royale
      Isle Royale is a 45 by 9 mile long island and national park located in the North West part of Lake Superior. It is the least visited national park with around 15000 people a year.  It is a haven to people who love to backpack, canoe, or kayak.  The main attractions on Isle Royale are the moose and wolves. The island is home to the longest running predator prey study with studies going on for over 50 years now.  I personally have seen two wolves and countless numbers of moose on the island.  To most of the visitors that actually go into the back country, Isle Royale is the national parks little hidden gem.  It was weird going in freight season, (that being any time after September 13th when all but law enforcement rangers leave, meaning no store, no lodge, no showers, just outdoors.)
      During the peak season There are 4 ways to get to the island 3 boats and a seaplane.  Guests are welcome at the lodge in Rock Harbor on the East end of the island.  The resort is much like all the others in the parks, very minimal and rustic, although a good option if your only going to see for a night or don't like the full wilderness experience. The picture above shows the geology of the island.  It was formed just like the area around it from volcanic activity thousands of years ago, and that's what it still is, just a rock, parts of the island are bare bedrock others have less than 4 inches of dirt, except for the west end which burned many years ago and has regrown with better soil.  I have hiked every trail on the island, most more than once, and I would have to say that walking the island is the best way to see it, and if you can, go multiple times in the year, it was much different this fall than it was last spring.  I am also open to questions if you are looking to plan a trip feel free to comment or email once again.  Here's a little more insight on how my last trip was.
   
Six hour boat rides after a week without a shower are not fun, but I did end up learning a lot about ultralight backpacking on this last major trip.  First of all to all you people that say don't bring more than one of anything unless its socks, you are all liars.  If I were to redo this trip over I would have at least brought one more pair of underwear, I practically had a whole ecosystem growing down there by time I was off the island.  The second thing I learned while out this week was that I have to pack my food better.  Sadly I left the peanut butter and chocolate at home, my body was just craving sweets like no other.  It also kind of sucked that 11lbs of my gear was food alone.  This was also no fun as an overloaded ultralight pack is tough on the shoulders, with its less than normal padding.  On the upside it was light as a feather by the end.  Also don't forget soap, its late in the season and the showers were closed (Isle Royale is the only national park that completely closes down for a whole season.)  I was fortunate enough that some fellow nice backpackers left me a bar at two of the campgrounds I stayed at, although if you are not used to the climate you probably wont last 20 seconds in the sub 40 degree waters of Lake Superior.  Lastly I learned that when going ultralight the pile of clothes you use as a pillow shrinks down into just a single Patagonia sweater, I realized this after I woke up the next morning and had a really sore neck.  All and all I have to say that I really liked my first true ultralight trip.  I honestly felt bad for my mother who was carrying a near 45lbs pack.
      Sadly this will probably be our last trip together.  Shes really the one that got me into backpacking, and everything outdoors in general, and I truly have tons to thank her for.  I didn't take any pictures on this trip because, well, I have already seen the whole island and recorded many a photo, so all of the ones included in this post are from years past. hope you enjoy!  Once again if you would like advice on a trip to the island, I am a great resource as i do it in both my job and on the side.  Lastly I would like to make the first reference to tattoos, here is a picture of the island that I had tattooed on my forearm when I turned 18.

-Tattooed Adventure
My first tattoo

No comments:

Post a Comment